Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Bilirubin

I HATE bilirubin levels. On Sunday night when we got to leave the hospital, we had to take the bili lights home with us because his levels were high. When we got home I tried to set up the lights in his pack n play, but he had to wear this little eye cover thing and you could tell he was just so scared. I hated it so bad. I was crying my eyes out. So Kenzie wrapped him up with the lights and held him all night like that so he at least knew he wasn't alone. I fell in love with Kenzie so much more during this. It is amazing to watch your husband become a dad. We took Riken to the doctor on Monday and his level had gone up even more :( They were about to send us home to keep doing the lights, but Dr. Rosenbeck decided to have us stay at the hospital overnight and do the lights they had there. I was not happy about having to stay at the hospital AGAIN after only one night at home, but I knew it was the right thing for my baby. That night was the longest of my life. Riken hated every second of the lights and we had to wake up very often to calm him down. This stupid girl who looked like a student came in in the middle of the night to draw his blood and poked him 7 times trying to get a vein! Twice in each arm and then a couple times in the hands. She would even like dig around trying to get it. Me and Kenzie were getting SO mad. I know it's hard to do on a baby, but it was so hard to watch. I hated seeing my baby in pain and uncomfortable all night. Kenzie had to go back to work the next morning at 6am so by the time I got to take him home at 3 that afternoon, I was MORE than ready. Luckily being under the lights all night made his level drop down to a normal level and his jaundice is all gone now, but that was such a hard thing to go through with a baby who is just a couple of days old! I wouldn't wish it on anybody!






No comments:

Post a Comment