Wednesday, November 2, 2011

A Good Person

I have something that I have been wanting to blog 
about for quite some time now,
but haven't really known exactly what to say
and didn't want to offend anyone or
make anyone think any less of me.
But I need to get some of these feelings out.

My testimony is not strong.
Since about this time last year we have had several things happen
( especially lately)
that have made me really question a lot of things.
We aren't active in the church.
We do things that are frowned upon by the church.
Are we bad people?

We still believe in God and Jesus and the Holy Ghost.
But I do not feel that the church is being ran the
way that Heavenly Father intended it.
And that makes it very hard for me to go
and to pay my tithing and to sit in relief society and get judged.
Mostly I just want to know...
What makes you a good person?

I know so many people who drink and swear
that are great people and who would do anything in the world for you.
I have had some of these people show up to 
help me when I needed someone the most.
I can't even begin to describe how wonderful some of
the people in my life are.... who aren't active in the church.
I get a warm and welcomed feeling when I am with these people.
And it so hard for me to believe that these people
are going to be turned away by Jesus when they try to go to heaven
or will be denied the opportunity to be with their families forever.

Maybe this is just a phase we are going through.
Or maybe I am making a major change in my life.
I just know that I want to be a good person.
And I feel like I have been a better person this last year
than I have been my whole life.


I need some direction!
Does anyone else feel this way sometimes??


2 comments:

  1. You took the words right from my mouth!
    We haven't been active in a lonnnng time. I've had a really hard time with the church in the past, but once we moved here and met so many other people, it really opened my eyes. I have a friend who is Christan, and we have been talking- and everything she believes is the basics of what I believe. The belief in God, Heaven and Hell, etc. but minus all the other things the LDS Church says. I feel like some of the stuff the LDS Church says is just sort of.. made up? in a way. Im with you 100% about the how can I not be with my family in heaven type of thing and stuff. So anyway, I've been looking into Christan churches and have actually gone to one, one time, and I feel better then I ever have in my life. It's sort of strange!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you have to do what is right for you. There are definitely a lot of people who are judgmental of others- even outside of our church, but you know who you are and you should be proud of yourself because you are a wonderful person. I hope you know that I think the world of you... you are beautiful inside and out! I also have a hard time going, but I feel like the lessons that my kids will learn there are good lessons that they can use to make good choices throughout their lives. We all make mistakes and we all know that Christ knew we are not perfect. I think above all we have to stop comparing ourselves to others and focus on our relationship with Christ and remember that he LOVES and cherishes us. If you build your relationship with our Heavenly Father and have faith that things will turn out the way that they are suppose to do, then I think you are doing great. I don't think that going to church meetings every Sunday is going to get you to heaven, but I think that some people need to be reminded every Sunday-- kind of a "fill your cup" kind of thing. If you need time away from the church, then you have to do what is best for you. I would suggest that you pray because that is what is helping me and I am by no means perfect in any way. I am considered "inactive" and there are a lot of things that I don't do. Sometimes I feel like because I made bad choices throughout high school and because I got pregnant, then I am not worthy. However, I do feel that through prayer I have come to know Christ and I know that he loves me and that brings me peace more than anything else. I think Satan tries to make us feel unworthy of his love and that is not true because I know he loves each of us the same.

    I love these two talks by Dieter F. Uchtdorf:
    http://lds.org/general-conference/2011/10/you-matter-to-him?lang=eng
    http://lds.org/general-conference/2011/10/forget-me-not?lang=eng

    Hang in there and do what is best for you! I know you are a good person and the church doesn't define who you are.

    ReplyDelete